Sunday, July 18, 2010

Finally in Bequia

Dropped the anchor in Bequia yesterday early afternoon. The last couple of days sail have been the stuff you dream about. 15 knots of wind in the lee of beautiful volcanic islands with flat seas. I was easily able to sail LCB to weather at 8 + knots for 8-10 hours each day.

Spent my last night night about 20 miles North of here in a town called Chateau Belair. Did not show up in cruising guide as an anchorage but there appeared to be 20-30 feet of water  according to my chart plotter. It was getting dark and I really did not care to try and anchor in Bequia in the dark as the moon set 2 hours before my  predicted arrival.As I approached the anchorage a young man was floating on a series of logs lashed together. He pointed to a spot where it was 7 meters and sand. Good Lad! Anchor down and it grabbed immediately.

Derek came alongside and  we chatted and it became apparent he hade a Zodiac that needed glue and patching material. I gave him glue and some PVC material to fix his dinghy. Apparently a cruiser had come through a month ago and it was sliced on the rocks. They gave it to Derek as they were picking up a new one in Bequia. Derek just needed patches and glue to get going, all worked out well. Chateau Belair is a very picturesque village perched on the sea and surrounded by volcanoes and cinder cones. The North end of St. Vincent is dominated by a huge volcano and its cinder cones.  Between the sound end of St. Lucia and the North end of St Vincent I cannot remember in my travels where I have seen such geologic beauty. As you depart St Lucia the Pitons rise out of the Sea and as you approach St Vincent Mt. Soufriere rises 3000 feet above the ocean.

No comments: