Thursday, December 17, 2009

Back to The NW


One of the joys of cruising the tropics is the sunshine and warm temperatures. It is a wonderful feeling to arise in the morning and only need a pair of board shorts to keep warm. Unfortunately for most white people there is a cost regarding this lifestyle.......skin cancer!

During my last visit to Portland ,Oregon I visited a dermatologist and after she put circles all over my body with a sharpie, she told me I had several area of basal cell carcinoma(skin cancer). This cancer will not kill but is slow growing and needs to be cut out. If left unchecked it continues to grow and when finally removed the area removed can be extensive.

I first noticed a problem when after showering the tip of my right ear would bleed. So while I have insurance elected for the surgery. They take way more skin than I figured but skin heals quickly so I am way on the road to recovery. They removed four patches of skin roughly 1.5 x 2.25 inches from my back, chest and legs. My ear was done by a procedure called MOHS and is still bandaged after 4 weeks and will be for another 1-2.

1 comment:

Aimee said...

I remember those bandages, kinda goofy looking, but at least you had your skin taken care of and that is the most important!